Friday, February 1, 2008

Time to Love Myself

I have a heart that is full of love for others. I have always found it easy to love my family, my friends, my students, people I meet at events, and even just people I meet on the street. I love people! The Bible says that "God is love", so I'd like to think that when I share the love in my heart with the people around me, I am indeed sharing God with them.

The Bible also says that "God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son" (John 3:16). I am part of the world that God gave His Son for. That means that God loves me...He loves me...He loves Melissa Taylor so much that He gave up His Son to die on the cross for me. (and of course for you too, but I'm personalizing it for myself...you should do the same:) If God Himself loves me that much, I should follow His lead and love myself.

Obviously God thought we were pretty special and important or He never would've done such a thing, like John 3:16 says. So shouldn't I take special care of His investment....His creation....me? If Jesus is going to go to such great lengths to keep me in His family, to die for my sins (thank you so much Jesus!), the least I can do to say thanks is to take care of that which He died for. That way I am able to serve Him more fully.

Now I've already admitted my selfishness in wanting to "look" pretty, but I am casting that aside. I want to focus on the way I love, not the way I look. So today, yes today, February 1, 2008, I am choosing to love myself. And not in a selfish or prideful way, but because I care enough about the investment and sacrifice my Almighty King made for me. He thinks I am beautiful. His Word says that "I am wonderfully made". I don't want to mess that up with poor choices and lack of love/care for myself.

So, what are some practical ways to begin loving myself. First, I want to love myself to good health. The next time I'm tempted to indulge or eat beyond what is good for me, instead of saying, "oh I can't have any, I'm on a diet".....I'll say, "No thank you, I'm loving myself to good health today". And I will be.

Second thing I'm going to do to love myself is to drink more water! How easy and it's free and readily available! And we all know the benefits of water intake....(help me here Denise)...it's good for our skin, it flushes out the impurities in our bodies, and it does aid in weight loss. It's just good.

Third thing I'm going to do (and I could use an accountability partner on this one!) is exercise regularly. Now I have to tell you, I'm not one of those who hates exercise. I actually like it once I get started. I just don't like getting out of my warm cozy bed with my warm cozy husband! The early morning is the only time it will work for me. I even have a neighborhood gym that is less than a mile from my house! Exercise is so important and it is so good for our bodies.....our bodies that were given to us by God.

These are all ways I'm going to love myself to better health. Not because I have to, but because I really do want to take care of God's creation, me. We go out of our way to protect the environment, recycle, and care for the earth because God made it. Why do we so often neglect God's most precious creations...ourselves?

Finally, I have to close by saying the very best way to love myself is by staying close to my very best Friend, Jesus. All of this is for nothing without a personal relationship with Him. His Word is the only thing that will outlast, outwit, outplay (ha, I'm thinking Survivor...I love that show...oops sorry, off task)...really His Word is the most important thing I can fill myself up with each day. It reminds me of who I am and Whose I am. And because of Whose I am, I am grateful and I will love myself.....because I Am Beautiful....and so are you!

Beautiful today and always,

Melissa

***For encouragement on getting started "today", visit www.MelissaTaylorP31.blogspot.com, February 1, 2008 post.

2 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Hi there! So glad to have found you. I so appreciate your vulnerability and honesty! I was so encouraged reading your posts. I must say, though, that the no make-up photo is stunning. You ARE beautiful! :)

Van said...

Melissa - Thank you for your BEAUTIFUL words of encouragement. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs... Van