Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Crazy Time of Day: 3-6

One of the biggest obstacles for me in being disciplined and making healthy choices is the time between 3 and 6 in the afternoon. I can go all day, behaving beautifully, then I pick up the kids from school and it's like all self control and good sense flies out the window. My brain shuts down and my mouth opens up and what goes in it I couldn't tell you. The reason I can't tell you is because half the time I'm not even aware of what I'm doing. I call it crazy stupid eating cuz it's crazy and stupid. (pretty profound huh?)

Really though, this time of day has always been a weakness for me. True, with 4 kids and a full time job, it is a really crazy time in our home. On any given day, it's rushed (trying to finish homework, get to afternoon activities, prepare dinner, work on the laundry, get ready for the next day, etc etc) and I get a little stressed and jittery and I just eat. I'm not mean or angry, I just eat. The afternoon crazy time is craving a little order and restoration.

This is the next way I'm going to love myself. I'm going to change my afternoon pattern of senseless eating. I know in order to do this I need to replace the bad choices with good ones. Tomorrow and each day thereafter, I'm going to have one snack in the afternoon with my children. I'll also have a diet coke. Then I will exit the kitchen. I love music so I'll turn on some music and get my housework done or read/do Bible study/blog at the table with my kids while they do their homework. I will monotask...do one thing at a time. When I eat during this time of day it's usually in a rushed fashion while I'm doing something else...which is why I'm not even aware of it. I am going to be aware. I am also going to post on my blog what I eat each afternoon during these hours.

So far the 3 ways I have begun to love myself to good health this week are:
*Drinking lots of water
*Exercising at least 5 days/week
*And now making an afternoon crazy time change

What about you? Do you have a crazy time? Are you struggling in any of the areas that I've mentioned over the past week? Do you have anything you can share?

I want to be held accountable. If you'd like to join me, I'd love to help you too! At my office, we have started asking each other if we exercised. Just reporting to one another has helped me this week. Many times it is a little easier and a lot more fun when we can share our struggles and journey together. Encouragement and Accountability are treasures when we feel tempted or weak.

Like I've said so many times before...I don't feel beautiful or very good about myself lately. I have not been making wise choices that lead to good health and wellness. God gave me a gr8 gift...life! I'm choosing to take care of it. With God's help, I know I can. I know it's not easy and sometimes seems like a chore, but I believe it's worth it. I'm worth it. You are worth it. Let's do it!

Okay, that's all for now. I'm beginning to feel better already!

IAB,

Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

In weight watchers they tell you the most successful people are the ones who track what they eat and how much they exercise. It can be a pain to do this but it is true probably because when we are really aware of what we are eating it is a real eye opener. I am struggling with exercise. I keep saying I'll start tomorrow (i'm running out of tomorrow's) When I get home from work today I will spend at least 20 min on the treadmill. I'll report back tomorrow.

Lori