Saturday, March 8, 2008

Father, Comforter, Disciplinarian

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary; and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like an eagle; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:28-31


Have you ever opened a book and read a passage and been amazed because it was EXACTLY what you needed to hear? Like it was written and sent just to you on that day at that moment? Well, that's what happened to me this morning.


I did not sleep last night. I recently had surgery on my left foot. Yesterday the doctor gave the go ahead to put full weight on that foot. So, for the first time in 3 weeks, I walked using that foot. I was so happy to not have to use crutches or limp around. I think I got a little carried away though. Last night, I awoke to extreme great pain. I couldn't sleep. I even cried. I finally took some pain medication, but I never did go back to sleep. This morning I am absolutely exhausted. I'm tired physically, mentally, and emotionally. I'm tired from no sleep. I'm tired of trying so hard to function. I'm ready to run and I can't. I'm frustrated. I'm weak. I'm what Isaiah calls 'weary'.


I opened my devotion book this morning for a healthy dose of God's Word. I knew I'd get something good, but I was overjoyed when I read the verses above from the book of Isaiah. It was exactly the words I needed. My 'strength will be renewed' because I 'have hope in the Lord'.


I have hope in the Lord because He is my Father. My heavenly Father is always with me, something my earthly parents could never do.


I have hope in the Lord because He is my Comforter. My foot may hurt and my emotions are unbalanced. I don't feel very comfortable at the moment, but I am comforted. My Comforter supplies me with the love, peace, and hope I need to know I'm going to be okay.


I have hope in the Lord because He is my Disciplinarian. I have to admit, this isn't my favorite characteristic of Him, but I know without it, I'd be out of control! I need a strong Hand to guide me and keep me in line. I actually feel more safe and secure because my Father disciplines me. I know it is through that discipline that I am strengthened. I also know He disciplines me because He loves me.


I may be weak today, but what a great place to be. It draws me closer to the One I need most. My Father, my Comforter, my Disciplinarian.


Action Plan:

Are you feeling weak today? Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Give up your ways and rest in Him.


Repeat after me: "I am beautiful because God made me. I am beautiful just the way I am today."


Take it easy this weekend!

God Bless You Beautiful Friend,
Melissa
***Post a comment and you'll be entered to win this book, I'm Beautiful,
Why Can't I See It? by Kimberly Davidson. Portions of this post were inspired by this devotional.

4 comments:

Joyful said...

God is SO GOOD! So glad He has already answered my prayers for you this morning and resfreshed your spirit. Those verses in Isaiah are some of my favourites. Isn't it incredible when God speaks to us so specifically!!! It always blows my mind!!

Praying tonight from Psalm 4:8 and Proverbs 3:24. Claiming God's promise that you will lie down and sleep in peace and that your sleep will be sweet. God does grant His beloved sleep - and you are definitely one of His beloved!

Love & prayers,
Joy

Chef Diane said...

Hey,
This verse has rung true to me this week. Melissa, I have a matching boot. My foot has broken again. (this is the 4th time in 3 years) This week I had hit my breaking point. It seems that I am more than likely have to endure my 12 surgery. (For those who don't know, I was assaulted 6 years ago by one of my students)
I just don't want to think about another surgery. I will try another cast first, that will make number 53.
I was in tears all day on Wednesday because of the pain. I was so overwhelmed. I pick up the word, then just like you said, there was something written just for me.
"Cast your cares on the LORD and He will sustain you;
He will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22 NIV
I knew this but needed to be reminded. Just like your husband Melissa, God just opens his arms and says "come child and I will give you rest". Thank is so much comfort that only he can give.
I am glad your foot is getting better and would appreciate your prayers for me.
God Bless,
Diane

Amy L Brooke said...

I'm so sorry you were in pain! No fun.

I'm with you on the no sleep. I've been averaging about 4 hours since last Saturday. Sigh. It makes me very grumpy!

Hope you'll leave a comment about hope and enter my contest! I ordered 2 books to send today....

Blessings.

Jodie Wolfe said...

Praise God that our hope is in Him!