Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Plateaus and Heartbreakers....that's life

You know. I've had a weight problem my whole life. I really have. I am educated. I know better. I know what causes weight gain and weight loss. I know about Jesus. I know I can trust Him to help me, but too often I try to take matters in my own hands. That's how it's been with my weight.

And My weight goes up. My weight goes down. I feel rotten when it's up. I feel better when it's down. I usually think that I have it all under control when it's down. "I will never gain the weight back" I say. One year and 40 pounds later....

My clothes don't fit!!!!! And that seems pretty horrible. Until I weigh it with the fact that my mother is dying of cancer. Then all of a sudden the clothes not fitting doesn't seem all that bad.

Isn't that just life? All of our problems may seem big to us. And they are. But then something else hits us that reminds us of what is really important.

Don't get me wrong. Gaining 40 pounds in one year isn't healthy or a good thing. At least not for me it wasn't. And it demands attention. For my health, I need to lose weight. And praise God I am. In fact, I broke a plateau this week....one that has haunted me for over a month!

But in the same week, I found out my mom's cancer is progressing. That makes me want to curse, scream, and hit someone! She's only 62. That's young, right? My husband has both of his grandmothers living....I can't be losing my mother. Please, no.

I'm not sure what the point of this blog is, except maybe to remind us that life is a gift. To waste it on a number on the scales or worrying over a jean size is just stupid! To waste it over a past mistake or sin is stupid too. God is loving and forgiving. We are created for wonderful things.

So, I broke a plateau and my heart was broken all in the same week. That is life.....I guess. I'm so glad and thankful that the Lord is there for me in the big and small. He cares about the plateaus and he cares about my heart and my family. And He takes equal consideration to both. He made me and cares about each and every part of me.

That's all I have to say tonight.

Beautiful Blessings...count them today,

Melissa

2 comments:

Joyful said...

"I'm not sure what the point of this blog is, except maybe to remind us that life is a gift. To waste it on a number on the scales or worrying over a jean size is just stupid! To waste it over a past mistake or sin is stupid too. God is loving and forgiving. We are created for wonderful things."

Melissa, that's a HUGE POINT!!

Life is such a gift. I spend so much time worrying and fretting over things of no significance at all. We need to focus on the majors and not the minors in life. Our time here is passing all to quickly.

Surrounding you in prayer today. You have been such an encouragement to me. I pray that you will know God's presence in a very real way today and that your heart will be infused with hope. As I read this post, I thought, 'Melissa must have known about this 2 nights ago when she was 'talking' to me, but she didn't mention a word...she just prayed for me and encouraged me and didn't even tell me about this change in her mom....'

Sweet friend, that moved me to tears. Here you were/are facing your own family challenges, yet your heart was focusing on encouraging me. I just love you so much my friend. You give and give and give. Praying the Lord will return to you His blessings today.

Hugs from here, for both you and your mom,
Joy

Chef Diane said...

Girlfriend, I am crying and celebrating with you. I am sending you a huge cyber hug. Life doesn't make sense to us and won't this side of heaven. When we are done on this earth there will be no weight issues, no pain and cancer will no longer eat away at our bodies. God will hold us whole and perfect and there will be no worries.
Your mom is still here, enjoy her and let her feel every ounce of your love. Keep your eye on the prize. I love you and am praying.

I am listening to "A Broken Wing" by Martina McBride. It said "with a broken wing she still sings". She is still singing.
Hugs,
Diane