Thursday, October 2, 2008

Life Isn't Easy...

But it is truly a gift. And you never know what each day will bring.

I've spent a lot of time over the past few days in the hospital with my mom. Here's what we know so far:

She has cancer. It's in an advanced stage. The doctors are not sure if it's actually lung cancer but it is cancer in her lungs. Possibly there by spreading through her bloodstream. So, there are further tests to be done. My mom is home now. My sister is flying in from Texas tomorrow. And we wait. Monday Mom has an appointment with her oncologist and we will get more information about what stage the cancer is in and what the plan is for treatment.

What do you do when you are waiting for something as life changing as the prognosis and plan for your mother's life? Well, at the Taylor house, we celebrate. We celebrate each other.

Family time. Watching football. Spending time just loving and laughing. Being grateful. Appreciating the gift of life the Lord has given us. What else can we do?

My mom, Becky, is a beautiful woman. She is strong. She raised my sister and I by herself for the most part. She's always been there for me. I can't imagine my life without her.

Life isn't easy. But we are never promised that it would be. In fact, I think that much of life's difficulties are presented in our lives to make us realize that we need to be dependent on God. I know that my relationship with the Lord has grown many times as a result of trials.

Isaiah 45:3- "I have given you treasures in the darkness, riches stored in secret places. So that you will know that I am the Lord. The God of Israel, who calls you by name."

I claim this verse. Yes, there are treasures in the darkness. Have you had dark times in your life where God has revealed a treasure there for you? Sometimes we need to go through those dark times. Otherwise, we would not realize our need for God. That has definitely been the case for me.

My mom believes. She believes in God and Jesus is her Savior. I am praying for her daily walk to be grounded and to walk in peace and comfort. I pray she would know that God is with her no matter what and that He has an amazing plan for her life. I want her to know what a great difference she's made in the lives of those around her. Especially me!

Thank you friends for being supportive and for being there for me. I love you. You just don't know. I love you. You are so beautiful!

Blessings,

Melissa

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really admire your positive attitude. I know this isn't an easy time. I will keep you and our mom in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. But how wonderful it is to know that she has the Lord to lean on during this difficult journey. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Just one more example of how we must live each day to fullest and making sure we love all those around us.

In love,

Julie Keefer

Jen said...

Melissa,

I am praying for your mom!!! I am sorry to hear that she has cancer... God will use this time in her life and your life (as well as others) to make it good and profitable!!! He is God of miracles and a God of mystery!! Your attitude with this trial is very empowering and encouraging!! Thank you!!! God bless your mom for raising you and your sister mostly by herself. That is a really hard thing to do! My mom raised me for the first 4 years of my life by herself... btw. Thank you for the book you sent me!! Can't wait to read through it!! You are beautiful!!! Love you too!!!!!!!

Joyful said...

Dear, sweet, beautiful, Melissa,
I have just spent an hour in prayer, and I spent time lifting your family and your Mom before the Lord. So thankful, that although miles lay between us, my prayers can surroud you and God's love can uphold you and His Spirit can bring you peace.
This morning I read in my devotional time that everything is possible with God. That doesn't give us an answer, but it gives us hope. Trusting your Mom and your family in God's care and believing Him to work all things together for His good and His glory.

Love, prayers and hugs,
Joy

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

It's always a jolt to learn that a parent has cancer! I've experienced that with both my parents. My mother who died with breast cancer when I was 16, and my Daddy who lived to be 96! I'm just so thankful that this life here on earth pales in comparison with our eternal life. I'm so glad you have that assurance that no matter what happens your Mom is saved! I do pray that she may be healed in this present life though if it's God's will.

Keep looking up!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

This life truly is a spiritual war and Satan's mission is to kill and destroy, BUT Jesus has overcome Satan and victory is ours! We may lose some battles, but not the war! Melissa, my heart goes out to you during this difficult time but rest in the fact that you are surrounded by love from your family, friends, and most importantly a compassionate and merciful Father.

Love,
Lisa Ford

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,

I wanted to encourage you. I have been in your shoes with my Father and most recently, my sister. I know this, no matter what the outcome with your Mom ( I am praying God's perfect will be done in her and your life), when we depend on the Lord, He gives us beauty for ashes. His love is perfect and He only has good for His own.
If you get the opportunity please read "The Shack" by William P. Young. I am telling you, it changed my life.
God bless,
Twila in California

Chef Diane said...

Melissa,

I am lifting your mom up in prayer. This afternoon in the midst of a personal struggle, your mother came to mind. Then I read your blog, (which I miss by the way._
I am glad your sister will be with you to help ease some of the burden.

Heavenly Father, I lift this dear sister up to you. Lord, you are the great physican and know every infected parr of her body.Be with her Lord,comfort her especially in those lonely hours when no other will do. Wrap her in peace and love. Pour out your blessings and help her to know the love of friends and family. Lord, give Melissa and her sister strenght as they tend to their familes while their mother is sick.
Be with the doctors and medical staff allow them to meet her needs. Help others come to know your, through her walk and love for you. These things we ask and praise you. Amen.

Love you Melissa, hang in there.
Hugs

Unknown said...

Melissa, I am without words. I have heard story after story this week of women I care about facing some really tough times and trails. And now I am reading about your mom. I send up prayers for her. I send up prayers for you and the rest of your family. I know you know that God is with you. And whatever His plan, He will give you strength to endure. Thank you for being such a courageous example!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love you and your mom both! Becky was like a second mother to me when I was growing up and one thing I know is this - She's strong in more than just the physical sense and she will continue her journey through life as she always has, with God holding her hand, guiding her and loving her as only He is able.

My heart to yours,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family and know you are surrounded in prayer!

Marebear

Alicia said...

Melissa, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will keep her, you and your family in my prayers.

P.S.
I loved the Redemption series also!

Amy L Brooke said...

I will continue to pray for you!

Unknown said...

Melissa,
When I say I know what you are going through, I truly in my hearts of hearts do know what you are going through. My heart weeps for you and your sister. I went through finding out my Husband on 1-16-07 having stage 4 colon caner. TWo years of Chemo later We just celabrated our 12th ann. today.(10-05)
These are my words of wisdom for you and your sister.
Let yourself cry, let yourself get angery, let yourself feel sad. It's human. No one no matter how they(other people) are there for you if it's praying for you, bringing meals, help with what ever will never know how you are truly feeling. Yes, G-d is there with you three and it's in his hands yet you are the one that has to sit through the meetings with the docs, going through what meds your mom will or will not take. and so on. So remember don't worry how others think how you should feel or should act in this storm of your life. I have learned it dosn't matter how much you pray or talk to G-d about it; from now on when people see you they will do that sad puppy eyed head tilt and ask you "How are you feeling?" ONce Cancer enters your life people just seemed not to know what to say to you. I am saying all of this from my last 2 years of this personal experance and want to pass it on to you. Stay beautiful and keep praying to our Heavenly Father too. Big Super Hugs to you my Sister in Christ,
Katrina in AZ