Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Yeah! I Feel Good Today!

How about you? How are you doing today?

I have to be honest. I've just been down in the dumps. And I haven't felt much like posting. Really down. So much that I decided to make a counseling appt. I have found over the past year that a good counselor can go a long way. It's just so good to get an outside, removed person from your life, who is a professional, to offer some guidance. Until last year, I had never seen a counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist. I think I looked at seeing someone for emotional or mental help as an admittance of failure or weakness. And I definitely didn't want anyone to know. I'm supposed to have it all together, I can't let anyone know that I don't. I don't feel that way anymore. Seeking help was the best thing I ever did. Now I do not look at seeking help as failing, but as smart and wise. You know I don't think twice about seeking treatment for a physical illness, so why did I wait so long to seek help for depression/anxiety? Pride I guess, but that's gone. Now I encourage people, "get help if you need it! There's nothing to be ashamed of."

But today. Well today was good. And I needed it. I've had a lot of great things happen lately, but I've just been down. Jeff and I were out of sync (not anymore), the kids' schedules have been crazy, my back has been hurt, my dad's blood sugar has been mega elevated and he's needed extra care, Dylan had a rough weekend, and I've been real tired. But, today, was good. Work was fun. I laughed so hard I had tears. And after work, I actually went on a 4.5 mile walk/run and it felt amazing! My back didn't even hurt. It was the 1st time I've been able to run in 2 weeks. I thank God for today. And I even feel beautiful ..... okay, at least I keep telling myself that!

On my other blog, http://www.melissataylorp31.blogspot.com/, I posted a picture of me and Donna in high school. Since we've been talking about friendship here, I thought I'd post the picture here too.





Yes, just 23 short years ago, this was us. Me on the left and Donna on the right. Oh my gosh, I just realized that now anyone who looks at this will realize I'm NOT a natural blonde!!!

Well, I don't know if this post has offered any inspiration to you or not, but it's all I got for today.

Beautiful Blessings,

Melissa

9 comments:

Joyful said...

So glad you're feeling better my friend. I'm praying today is an even better day!!!
Love ya,
Joy

Jen said...

Melissa,

I am glad you are doing better (yesterday)!! I hope today is a good day also!!! I am actually doing pretty good too... There is NOTHING wrong with going to a counselor when you need help especially if you are depressed!! We all need to talk about what is going on in our lives... it holds us accountable.. we know when we need someone to pray for us... etc. I have been doing a little better also... I am trying not to let the little things (ie. not finding a FT job right away, not hitting higher notes when singing) bother me. It is really hard sometimes, but I am working at it. I appreciate your being vulnerable and honest!! Have a blessed day my sister! Love ya! Jen

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa! I am feeling alittle down today. My 16 year old beautiful daughter Ashley fractured her nose last Thursday after a freak accident. I kept her home from school for a few days to heal. She has 6 stitches in her nose and 2 black eyes. Well, after returning to school, she is the subject of rumor and ridicule. She called me 3 times to let her come home because of all the "mean girls".I made her stay at school and told her to remember everyone praying for her. It makes me so sad that I can not protect her while she is dealing with all of this. She does not have a mean bone in her body. The other girls just love that this beautiful child's face is all messed up right now. How can kids be so cruel? Please say a prayer for Ashley. Please say a prayer for me that I just do not go marching right into that school! Thank you for your words and honesty. I love reading your blogs. Your sight is honestly the only one I always to make sure to read. And Joyful Joy, I always love reading your comments. You have a way of uplifting my spirit as well! Thanks Ladies!! Love, Suzanne

jillian4 said...

If you don't mind me asking was it a christian counselor? How did you find this person? It is encouraging to here that you did find "help" and refreshment with a counselor. I debate at times if I should seek that as well? Anyways...Thanks for your post, it is inspiring and you have such love for your fellow bloggers:)

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
Glad you are feeling better! And you are beautiful!
I hope the rest of your week will be full of laughter & blessings!
Hugs,
Margaret

Cazandra Campos-MacDonald said...

Glad you are doing better. I've been seeing a Christian Counselor for several years (only occasionally now since I've moved)and he truly saved me. I felt God working through him and saw wonderful things happen in my life as a result of working with him.

I have body image issues and struggle with depression so I know how those days are when you just feel "yuck". I'm kind of like that today. It will get better.

Blessings,
Cazandra

Deb said...

Melissa,
I'm so glad you felt you are worth enough to seek help and I am also glad you are feeling better. I so enjoy reading your blog, it's so inspiring. Have another great day!

Deb

Anonymous said...

I too have been with a Pastoral Counselor for 2 years. I am in the midst of a lot of difficult circumstances and have experienced depression and anxiety as a result. I encourage the other bloggers to seek this type of counseling because not only are you getting professional help for very real issues but one who will encourage you to draw on your faith along the way. Thank you Melissa for your service in the Lord. I also enjoy this site.

Robin Pedrero said...

did you ever listen to Kirk Franklin's song "I Like Me"